Study the information about the basic uses of ‘much’, ‘many’, ‘lot of’.
1. Much (+ uncountable, always singular) and many (+ plural countable).
- Negative statements.
We haven’t got much time.
There are not many pandas in China.
2. A lot of, lots of with plural countable or singular uncountable.
She has got a lot of time.
She has got a lot of books.
3. We can also use much and many in the affirmatives.
- Formal statements
Many people retire early.
Take as much as you want.
I have lived here for many years.
4. You can use not many, not much to begin a sentence.
Not many people know about it.
5. You can use not a lot of for emphasis.
I haven’t got a lot of time for people like him.